Under limited direction from the Wastewater Utility Superintendent, the Operations Supervisor is responsible for compliant and safe operation of AlexRenew’s Water Resource Recovery Facility (WRRF) and associated conveyance systems, including wet weather and combined systems. The Operations Supervisor leads a team composed of skilled Operations Technicians, Operators-in-Training and Apprentices. The Operations Supervisor coordinates plant-wide activities in order to ensure operational excellence and achieve performance.
- Leads and supervises operations staff provide safe, efficient, and compliant operations of AlexRenew’s advanced WRRF using extensive professional judgement, initiative and critical thinking.
- Plans, organizes, supervises, and controls activities of employees and assigns work to achieve treatment goals.
- Monitors, analyzes, and directs plant-wide activities in order to optimize plant performance and ensure equipment and treatment chemical availability.
- Serves as “Operator In Responsible Charge”. Reviews and signs required reports to regulatory agencies.
- Communicates critical and routine information effectively and in a timely manner with other shifts, external workgroups and senior management.
- Troubleshoots and evaluates operational issues, collaborates with staff to provide technical recommendations and directs effective corrective actions within and among staff.
- Provides operational review and comment of engineering projects specifications, design plans, and construction schedules. Serves as operations liaison to project teams, as required.
- Analyzes process and instrumentation data to determine the correct action to ensure process optimization.
- Reviews daily, weekly, and monthly reports and logs for accuracy of information.
- Trains and develops staff in proper operation of process equipment and systems. Champions the professional development of direct reports and the Apprentices by fostering a continuous learning environment and providing training needs/feedback to HR.
- Complies with, enforces, and recommends improvements to policies and procedures to ensure superior plant safety and employee performance.
- Evaluates and documents individual staff performance.
- Provides leadership as initial Incident Commander in the event of a plant emergency.
- Assists and supports the O&M Superintendent in establishing and achieving department goals to include monthly budget targets and process performance measures.
- Collaborates with other department leadership to support an exceptional Asset Management program.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge.
- Other duties and responsibilities to support AlexRenew vision and outcomes as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the experience, education, knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in water or wastewater treatment, biology, chemistry or related area is preferred. A balance of education and experience will be considered.
- Five (5) years of experience operating advanced wastewater treatment facility.
- Five (5) years supervisory experience.
- Virginia Waste Water Works Operator Class 1 License required or ability to attain within one (1) year.
- Advanced knowledge of process control in wastewater applications.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Knowledge of OSHA standard requirements for industrial safety and basic utility-related emergency procedures.
- Extensive knowledge of advanced waste water treatment and resource recovery processes.
- Knowledge of laboratory, field processes and regulatory tests.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic and annual planning, budgeting, supervision, production and processing methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Knowledge of basic project management practices.
- Ability to use computer software programs (i.e., Microsoft Office Suite, Op10, Avantis, SCADA, CMMS, Intranet, Internet).
Ability to communicate effectively and resolve conflicts both orally and in writing with both internal and external customers. Excellent verbal, telephone and written communication skills.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that an employee may perform on an occasional to regular basis while performing functions of this job. A detailed Physical Demands Analysis is available in Human Resources and a copy will be provided to all incumbents in this position.
While performing the duties if this job, the employee is frequently required to walk and stand for nine hours a day. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 80 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include depth perception, near and far acuity, color and field of vision. The employee would be required to constantly communicate with management and coworkers, and to listen for emergency sirens and alarms.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Environmental conditions necessitate following strict safety guidelines and use of Personal Protective Equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee performs work indoors in a climate controlled environment, with outdoor trips between buildings and some outdoor work required. Some areas of the plant are hot and humid at times.
This position works a 10-hour fixed shift and is required to work weekends and holidays, as scheduled. This position is considered an essential position.
The above information on this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Please email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 703-997-8666.