AlexRenew has suspended all plant tours on our main campus due to ongoing construction that is part of our RiverRenew program. During this plant closure, AlexRenew will provide an alternative tour site at our Four Mile Run Pump Station and Education Center. We know that the best way for visitors to learn how we make dirty water clean again is with a first-hand look at our award-winning water resource recovery facility, so in the meantime, we are creating a specialized tour of our Four Mile Run Pump Station and Education Station to hold us over until we can resume our normal facility tours in the future.
Each year, AlexRenew welcomes hundreds of visitors to our facility, ranging from students of all ages to industry insiders and political dignitaries who want to learn more about the ongoing improvements we’re making to better our water and boost sustainable operations. We are proud to offer tours as a way to educate members of the Alexandria community about our water cleaning process and to help establish a personal connection with our local waterways. Since we cannot bring visitors to our campus for the time being, we are looking into new modes of virtual technology that will allow us to bring our campus to you. Stay tuned for exciting new ways to learn about water transformation!
We are temporarily offering the following tour, which we can customize as needed. Please come back and visit us in the fall of 2019 for additional tour options.
Summer/Fall Four Mile Run Pumping Station and Education Center Tour
With input from neighbors of our Four Mile Run Pump Station, we designed and constructed an interactive, educational fence around the pump station. Located next to Cora Kelly School, it incorporates exhibits that inspire water stewardship and demonstrate water infrastructure. We invite you to come and learn about how water gets dirty, how it is transported from your home or business to AlexRenew, and how we clean recover resources from your dirty water.
- Tours are scheduled on Wednesdays and Thursdays between 9 am and 1 pm. We do not host tour groups during the winter months of December, January, and February.
- Tours last up to 1.5 hours, but times will vary depending on the group's needs.
- Tours groups are limited to a maximum of 40 participants. If your group has more than 20 participants, it will be divided into two or more separate groups.
- Tours must be requested at least three weeks in advance. Please allow one week for a response.
- Tour participants must stay together at all times and follow the directions of the tour guide.
To participate in a walking tour of the facilities, you must follow these guidelines:
- Please keep in mind that AlexRenew's Four Mile Pump Station and Education Center is a working, industrial facility.
- Sign a hold harmless agreement and media release (a parent or legal guardian must sign for any participant under the age of 18).
- Wear appropriate attire:
- Closed-toed slip resistant shoes (no high heels, flip flops, sandals, or open-toed shoes) We recommend wearing sneakers.
- Full-length pants (no skirts, shorts, or three-quarter-length capri pants)
- We encourage visitors to wear sunscreen and bug repellent.